Double booked – d’oh! So, not Hull 2 gig today.
Since I won’t have gig pics to upload, I thought I’d take this opportunity to share a little behind-the-scenes info with the above setlist photo. As you can see, we plan the song order in advance, for many reasons. On the keyboard, I have 10 presets. I rarely (if ever) transpose, but it’s easier for me to have, for example, two B3 songs back-to-back. Similarly, Paul (lead guitar) uses two different guitars and tries to minimize switches. Some songs are in the same key, so they make good songs to play in succession. All of that said, we rarely follow the setlist exactly. We often tweak the setlist on gig day to accommodate requests, time restrictions, and the mood of the crowd.
Most of us play from chord sheets (lyrics plus chords). We don’t use sheet music, never have. But it’s not exactly easy to remember the lyrics of 100+ songs, which is how many we have in our repertoire!
Finally, we try to add new songs (highlighted in yellow above) every gig.
Those who rock salute you! We love you mans!
- Breakdown (Am) – Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers
- My Best Friend’s Girl (F) – The Cars
- Stray Cat Strut (Cm) – Stray Cats
- Centerfield (G) – John Fogerty
- Oye Como Va (A) – Santana
- Stacy’s Mom (E) – Fountains of Wayne
- Just What I Needed (E) – The Cars
- No Matter What (A) – Badfinger
- Tush (G) – ZZ Top
- Sultans of Swing (Dm) – Dire Straits
- The House Is Rockin’ (B) – Stevie Ray Vaughan & Double Trouble
- Lonely Boy (E) – The Black Keys
- Psycho Killer (Am) – Talking Heads
- Old Time Rock and Roll (recorded in F#, play in E) – Bob Seger & The Silver Bullet Band
- Bohemian Like You (B) – The Dandy Warhols
- Just Like Heaven (A) – The Cure
- Cover Me (Bm) – Bruce Springsteen
- Honky Tonk Women (G) – The Rolling Stones
- Brown Sugar (C, sax) – The Rolling Stones
- Stand (E) – R.E.M.
- Should I Stay or Should I Go (D) – The Clash
- I Fought the Law (D) – The Clash
- Smokin’ In The Boys’ Room (recorded in D, play in A) – The Brownsville Station
- Can’t Get Enough (C) – Bad Company
- Summertime Blues (A) – The Who
- Learn To Fly – by Foo Fighters (B)
- Rock ‘n’ Roll Fantasy (E) – Bad Company
- Are You Gonna Be My Girl (A) – Jet
- What I Like About You (E) – The Romantics
- Smoking Gun (Em) – Robert Cray
- Refugee (F#m) – Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers
- 867-5309 (Jenny) (F#m) – Tommy Tutone
- (What’s So Funny ‘Bout) Peace, Love and Understanding (G) – Elvis Costello & The Attractions
- You Wreck Me (D) – Tom Petty
- Already Gone (G) – Eagles
- Back In the U.S.S.R. (A) – The Beatles
- Takin’ Care of Business (C) – Bachman-Turner Overdrive
- The Boys Are Back In Town (A) – Thin Lizzy
- (Ain’t Nothin’ But a) House Party (E) – The J. Geils Band
- Love Shack (C) – The B-52’s
- Runnin Down A Dream (E) – Tom Petty
- You Really Got Me (G) – The Kinks
- Dirty Water (E) – The Standells